github release procedure

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Sat Jan 5 13:46:19 PST 2013

Am Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:21:30 -0800
schrieb "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx>:

> One question, though: in the git workflow section, it says that a
> non-regression bugfix should go directly into staging, but there's no
> mention of merging it back to master. Is this deliberate? It seems to
> me to be kinda important that we merge all fixes back to master so
> that bugs don't get "unfixed". Or am I missing something here?

It's mentioned in the official branches section and in the summary
"Regression fixes and bug fixes will be merged from staging into
master." and "Merge staging branch into master regularly", but it
should be added to the workflow as well.

I don't think it's urgent to immediately merge it into master though
and bugs can't really get 'unfixed' anyway: Releases are made from
staging so the fix will be part of releases either way. It's enough to
sporadically merge staging to master so that the feature branches and
master also get the bug fixes.