WTF did happen with struct constructor and ref in 2.061 ?

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Sat Jan 5 14:57:06 PST 2013

On Saturday, 5 January 2013 at 21:24:48 UTC, js.mdnq wrote:

> Oh please, 90% of the discussions on here are about what d is
> doing, should do, and will do, period!
>
> The discussion came about because a change in the
> compiler/language and regardless of how you want to spin it,
> D's language specification is not set in stone and is not
> implemented perfectly in the compiler... and even if it were,
> it doesn't then mean that it does it the best way.

The root problem, which I mentioned in an earlier post in this
thread (that unfortunately caused the diversion into patching up
the .mobi file), is that D does not actually have a specification
because the specification is not being properly managed. To me,
this is a significant problem that needs to be taken on as soon
as possible - we need a solid official specification that
contains at least revision numbers for tracking purposes and
linking to the compiler releases, among other obvious advantages.

What we have ATM is not being managed in a sane and efficient way
and can never be pinned down. The specification is actually
spread out between what is on this web site, partly hidden away
in forum postings, and what is in the TDPL book (and I probably
missed a location or two). I cannot think of a situation much
worse than this, yet here we are. If we can survive with this,
then imagine how much better we'll be with at least some thought
put into consolidating the specification into a managed document.

Rather than arguing endlessly over something that has no answer,
we instead need to get organized and pin down the specification
into a well managed form. We can do this by doing exactly the
same things that we're doing with implementing the development
and release process, i.e., we need a process for managing the
specification, and we need a document that can be managed in
similar ways (although likely not identical) to how the software
is now being manged.

I'm certain there are a few people reading this who know what I'm
talking about, and who have much more experience in how to manage
something like a specification. So if anyone wants to step up and
lend a hand, now may be a good time. There's really no reason for
delaying what needs to be done.

--rt