shared gitconfig

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 6 15:02:59 PST 2013

On Sunday, January 06, 2013 17:45:29 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I get these tidbits of commands - git idioms - all the time, and I
> forget them because I don't use them frequently. I don't see why it's a
> crime to want to define some macros for such idioms instead of
> essentially putting that in a text file that I'd be perusing now and then.

If you want to define macros for your personal use, then that's your
prerogative, but I don't think that it's a good idea to encourage them by
putting them in the repo's .gitconfig file. And in this particular case, git-
reset is basic enough and so useful (and so frequently needed in my
experience), that while I can understand someone not knowing about it as
they're learning, it's the sort of thing that anyone using git on a regular
basis should know by heart.

My guess would be that part of your problem is the fact that you're
functioning primarily in the capacity of an admin and reviewer these days
rather than writing code yourself (or at least, if you're writing much code
for Phobos and it's related projects, you're not submitting it). And if you're
not using git aside from dmd/druntime/Phobos/d-programming-language.org, then
it's much easier to forget the commands.

- Jonathan M Davis