So, User-Defined Attributes

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Jan 6 23:31:08 PST 2013

On 01/07/2013 07:27 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/6/2013 7:27 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> I am still reducing the massive breakage
>> introduced by 2.061 regressions.
>
> Sorry about that,

No problem. There will be some way to get it to compile. The reduced
code shows which points to concentrate modification on. I have quite a
few workarounds for forward reference errors in my code already.

> but 2.061 has been available for 2 months in beta.

I think this is a valid point, but coincidentally, I have not been
working on the code base for the past 2 months.

> We fixed all but 3 of the reported regressions, and had good reasons for
> deferring those.

I am sure that very good progress is being made. However, the forward
reference error problem will need formal treatment at some point. I
think one reason they pop up is that symbol lookup for the intended
language is inherently impossible to compute.

> In fact, the 2.062 work in progress release is currently up on the site.

Great!

The remark was not intended as a critique of DMD's development process,
rather I was attempting to support the point that for language design
issues, implementation details are of secondary importance.