manual memory management

Gor Gyolchanyan gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 07:49:39 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM, David Nadlinger <see at klickverbot.at> wrote:

> On Monday, 7 January 2013 at 15:01:27 UTC, Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
>
>> How can I have an associative array, which uses a custom allocator?
>>

> I'm afraid the only viable solution right now is to implement your own AA
> type as a struct with overloaded operators (which is in fact what the
> built-in AAs are lowered to as well).
>
> There are two downside to this, though - besides, of course, the fact that
> you need a custom implementation:
>  - You cannot pass your type to library functions expecting a built-in
> associative array.
>  - You lose the convenient literal syntax. This could be fixed in the
> language, though, by providing a rewrite to a variadic constructor of user
> types for array/AA literals, thus eliminating the need for GC allocations
> (gah, another thing I just need to find the time to write up a DIP for…).
>
> David

This means, that dlang.org is lying. D doesn't provide both a garbage
collector and manual memory management. It provides a garbage collector and
a lousy excuse for manual memory management. As much as I love D for it's
metaprogramming and generative programming, it's not even remotely fit for
system-level programming the way it claims it is.

I don't mean to be trolling, but it's not the first time I got grossly
disappointed in D.

--
Bye,
Gor Gyolchanyan.