D 2.061 release

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Jan 7 14:44:34 PST 2013

Walter Bright:

> It's also helpful to drill down to see why.

I agree. Performance of the resulting code doesn't come out of
magic, it comes from one or more (usually many) small stupid
steps done by some optimization module, etc etc. If you locate
the problem exactly, it's often possible to improve the
"compiler". See below.

> For example, a while back a D user posted a benchmark where he
> concluded that dmd generated poor code for integer math.

That person concluded that DMD was doing a worse job in compiling
that code.

 From similar discussions it seems that the problem is that what
you call "compiler" isn't what most people think of "compiler".
For me the "long divide" is part of what the compiler does.

Bye,
bearophile