shared gitconfig

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Mon Jan 7 22:29:04 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 8 January 2013 at 01:54:43 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
>> I'm arguing that people should actually learn how to use git
>> properly rather
>> than creating crutches for themselves.
>
> False choice.

Yet one should come before the other.

>> The more you try and do with git
>> without learning it properly, the more problems you're likely
>> to run into
>> (e.g. by running commands that you don't entirely understand
>> and ending up
>> with nasty side effects). So, I think that it's just plain bad
>> practice to
>> create such macros.
>
> I know how the shell works quite well but that doesn't stop me
> from writing scripts and aliases.
>
> This boils down to advocating one needs to type by hand
> sequences of commands instead of defining higher-level scripts
> that have a cohesive meaning.

Such as?

Points:
1. If everyone needed to type the same sequences of commands all
the time, git by itself would be a rather poor tool.
2. Automating commands that destroy (or move in a hard-to-reach
place) user data has obvious consequences.
3. Your workflow may be different from the typical user's. I
agree that untypical usage (e.g. a project maintainer's) might
benefit from some automation.
4. Your workflow might be suboptimal (due to incomplete knowledge
of git).

Enumerate some actions that you have to resort to typing series
of commands to perform, and let's examine solutions. I'll reply
to your original problem with a better solution, as well.