Mac OS installer

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Jan 7 23:57:41 PST 2013

On 2013-01-08 05:00, Elias Zamaria wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade to DMD 2.061. What am I supposed to do? I tried
> running the installer but I got the same error I got the last time (see
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/yrcyfaalimocuovsvgqo@forum.dlang.org or
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/bug-8682-3@http.d.puremagic.com/issues/).

We need to fix that somehow. I have an idea that might fix this.

> Jacob, do I need you to custom-make a non-broken installer like you did
> for 2.060? Is that something I can realistically do myself if I don't
> know much about D or OS X installers? Why isn't something like this on
> the download page?

Yes, it's fairly easy to do. Download the zip as you did and run these
commands:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/installer/blob/master/osx/Makefile#L32

The commands between line 33 and 42. You have to replace the $1 and $2
with 2.061 and 2.

> I downloaded the zip
> (http://downloads.dlang.org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/releases/2013/dmd.2.061.zip
> . Is this the right one?) but I don't know what to do with it. I am
> guessing some stuff should go in /usr/bin and some other stuff should go
> in /usr/share but I don't know what.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?

The installer installs the compiler into /usr/share/dmd if I recall
correctly. It then creates symlinks to /usr/bin. You need to replace the
following:

/usr/share/dmd/bin
/usr/share/dmd/lib
/usr/share/dmd/src

With the same folders from the zip.

I do really recommend DVM instead, even if it's not an official way to
install DMD. It's easy and allows you to have multiple compilers installed:

https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm

--
/Jacob Carlborg