manual memory management

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Tue Jan 8 15:12:42 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 8 January 2013 at 18:35:19 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> You also need to consider the market for D. Performance is one
> of D's key selling points. If it had the performance of Python
> then D would be a much less interesting language, and I
> honestly doubt anyone would even look at it.
>
> Whether or not the bulk of software written is critically
> real-time is irrelevant. The question is whether the bulk of
> software written *in D* is critically real-time. I don't know
> what the % is, but I'd assume it is much larger than the
> average piece of software.

Well I for one looked at D *only* because the specifications
claimed you'd get  performance comparable with C/C++, which is
about as good as it gets, and also that I could compile
standalone executables not dependent on a separate runtime
environment. The fact that I can integrate systems level code
along with high level code in a seamless and safe way sealed the
deal.

The only major thing that concerns me is the lack of proper
shared library support. I hope this omission is resolved soon.

--rt