manual memory management

Rob T rob at ucora.com
Tue Jan 8 18:49:33 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 8 January 2013 at 23:30:34 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 January 2013 at 23:12:43 UTC, Rob T wrote:
>> The only major thing that concerns me is the lack of proper
>> shared library support. I hope this omission is resolved soon.
>
> What do you need it for? Runtime loading of D shared objects?
> Or just linking to them (i.e. binding by ld/dyld at load time)?
> I'm trying to collect data on real-world use cases resp.
> expectations right now.
>
> David

I *really* need runtime loading of plug-in code for a server
application. This allows the server code to remain untouched
while allowing extensions to be added on by a 3rd party.

Runtime linked shared libs are also nice to have for the simple
reason that shared libraries can be updated (to a point) without
having to rebuild and relink all applications that make use of
the libraries. There are pros and cons to static vs dynamic
linking, but definitely both are useful to have.

I'm very surprised that not too many people have been screaming
for dynamic linking and runtime loading. It's very hard for me to
imagine not having the feature because it's so darn useful and an
essential feature if your strategy is to allow 3rd parties to
extend an application without hacking at the source code.

If there's another better way, I'd sure like to know about it!

--rt