manual memory management

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jan 9 00:51:46 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:28:44 UTC, Mehrdad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 08:14:35 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 1/8/2013 11:42 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
>>> (True, it wouldn't give you the power of a systems language,
>>> but that's quite
>>> obviouly not my point -- the point is that it's a _perfectly
>>> possible_
>>> memory-safe language which we made, so I don't understand
>>> Walter's comment about
>>> a GC being "required" for a memory-safe language.)
>>

>> The misunderstanding is you are not considering reference
>> counting as a form of GC. It is.
>
> So you would say that C++ code (which uses reference counting)
> uses garbage collection?

Yes.

Reference counting is a poor man's form of garbage collection and
almost every book about garbage collection starts by introducing
reference counting, before moving on to mark-and-sweep and all
the remaining algorithms.

Both fall under the umbrella of automatic memory management.

Oh, a bit off topic but are you aware that C++11 has a GC API?

--
Paulo