manual memory management

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Jan 9 00:58:03 PST 2013

On Wednesday, January 09, 2013 00:30:32 David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Tuesday, 8 January 2013 at 23:12:43 UTC, Rob T wrote:
> > The only major thing that concerns me is the lack of proper
> > shared library support. I hope this omission is resolved soon.
>
> What do you need it for? Runtime loading of D shared objects? Or
> just linking to them (i.e. binding by ld/dyld at load time)? I'm
> trying to collect data on real-world use cases resp. expectations
> right now.

You pretty much need shared libraries for plugins (so, runtime loading of
shared libraries), whereas all dynamic linking really does is save disk space.
So, I'd consider the loading of shared libraries at runtime to be a necessity
for some types of projects whereas for pretty much anything other than
embedded systems (which will probably want to use C anyway), the saved disk
space part is fairly useless.

With the stuff I work on at work, I couldn't use D precisely because we require
plugins (think of trying to do something like gstreamer but without plugins -
it doesn't work very well). Now, much as I love D, I wouldn't try and get the
stuff that I'm doing at work moved over to D, because it's a large, existing,
C++ code base which works quite well, and I don't think that switching to D
would be worth it, but anyone looking to do similar projects in D would be out
of luck right now.

- Jonathan M Davis