small idea

eles eles at eles.com
Wed Jan 9 08:20:54 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 15:36:21 UTC, Tim Krimm wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 15:10:47 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> eles:
>>

>> make_a_equal_to_b(ref a, in b)
>>
>> This feature was discussed several times in past for D. The
>> advantage is more readability for the code and less surprises.
>> The disadvantages are more typing, some code breakage of D2
>> code (because even if at the beginning it's a warning, and
>> later a deprecation, you will eventually need to enforce it
>> with an error).
>>

> Why make it a requirement or give a warning.

My feeling about such feature is that it is an annotation (read:
"intention"), rather than a warning (read: potential misuse) and
error (read: "obvious misuse").

I would go for having annotations somewhere on the scale
error/warning/annotation/correct in between the warning and
correct. That is, a stand-alone language/compile feature and even
flag.