small idea

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 08:59:11 PST 2013

I am responding before reading the rest of the thread.

On 01/09/2013 06:28 AM, eles wrote:

 > In D, this is signalled by the in/out/inout keywords.

You mean ref, not inout.

 > However, these are
 > only visible at the moment of function declaration, not calling.

 > In C, you usually can distinguish since parameters intended to be
 > modified are passed through address (pointers), and you see that at use
 > time:
 >
 > void make_a_equal_to_b(&a,b);

And in C++ it is again impossible because the ref parameter is a reference.

I've heard this proposal before. It is an interesting idea but I've been
coding in C and C++ for years. I have never had an issue related to this
topic. I always knew what a function call did. I don't remember a single
bug that was caused by this.

I don't even prepend "ptr" to pointer variable names.

So I don't see the benefit.

Ali