shared gitconfig

Ed McCardell edmccard at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 9 11:26:26 PST 2013

> Sent this to dmd-internals, opening for a broader discussion:
>
> Hello,
>

> I wonder how we can define a few aliases of project-wide usefulness to
> git. For example, I tried today to get the latest and greatest phobos
> into my repo, and got a bunch of conflicts. I searched a while on the
> net to figure what the command for "just get the latest remote into my
> local copy", which is entirely possible but not obvious and not easy to
> find.

If you use local branches instead of working directly on master then
getting the latest and greatest is as simple as

   git checkout master
   git pull

Then you can do

   git checkout mybranch
   git rebase master

to get new upstream changes into your local branch(es). You might
sometimes need to use more complicated versions of the rebase command,
but no matter how wacky things get with merge conflicts, it will only be
affecting your local branch. (I often do "git checkout mybranch; git
checkout -b newmybranch; git rebase master", if I'm worried about
conflicts; this way I have a new branch to play around with fixing
conflicts in, and it's easy to just scrap it and switch back to
known-good versions of master and local branches).

tl;dr: more local branches means less need for arcane git options.

--Ed