Transitioning to the new Release Process

Jesse Phillips Jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:51:26 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 20:16:26 UTC, Rob T wrote:

> According to the wiki, this is not what is supposed to happen,
> staging should have existed prior to the version branch release:

It does exist before release because it was created before the
release, but we didn't have a previous release with this model.

"To start the release process (This is always done after a major
release has been made) merge master into staging:"

http://wiki.dlang.org/Release_Process#Preparing_a_new_major_release

I voiced my initial concerns about the staging branch here:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/mhxudrazfbueboficosq@forum.dlang.org

I affirmed getting behind a plan here:

http://forum.dlang.org/post/jztehgwjvrminlrmgnqq@forum.dlang.org

For all I care we could instead branch master into the next
version branch and use that as a *period* of staging. But I like
the delay, continuous betas, and clear expectations for what one
will see in the next release. It gives a good period for the
stabilization and getting many testing it (as they get tired of
waiting for a release they grab the betas and they get some
regression fixes too.

But we have to get started, and not having a clear plan how to
transition has caused confusion.