Shadowing of members

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Jan 9 19:53:19 PST 2013

Jonathan M Davis:

> 1. Walter has already rejected this idea.

Walter opinions needs respect, but:
- Walter is far from infallible;
- I know many cases where he has changed his mind. I remember
some cases where he has had to go back on his decisions;
- I was away during the largest part of this discussion, so I
didn't have a chance to answer before Walter answer;
- I see enough rational arguments for this proposal, to not
dismiss this issue so quickly;
- This is one of my top fifteen enhancement requests, it is
sleeping in Bugzilla for a lot of time, and I have the right to
answer in this newsgroup if I want.

> Warning about something which isn't a bug or at least almost a
> guarantee to be
> a bug is _not_ a valid use of a warning IMHO.

I agree, my original enhancement request was was focused only on
situations where there is an actual probable mistake in the code.
Sorry for generalizing the case too much.

Bye,
bearophile