Transitioning to the new Release Process

Jesse Phillips Jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 11:36:40 PST 2013

On Thursday, 10 January 2013 at 15:51:13 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> My understanding was that staging is worked on only during the
> (short) time span from initiating a new release and finalizing
> that release.
>
> Andrei

I know, that is my general understanding of how staging would be
used. This is a release branch in most described models.

However I think that extending that to a longer period isn't bad.
But it does mean maintaining 3 branches (released, staging, dev).
If we only want the usual short prep period, staging should die
and we just branch into a Version branch (release branch) and tag
when it is released. This would not need a transition period.