shared gitconfig

Ed McCardell edmccard at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 10:23:01 PST 2013

On 01/10/2013 04:20 AM, mist wrote:
>> tl;dr: more local branches means less need for arcane git options.
>>
>> --Ed
>
> AFAIR you can resist the temptation to have a local master branch at all
> and just run "git pull --rebase upstream/master" where upstream is
> configured to be original D repo.

And then you're right back where we started; Andrei's original problem
was how to just get a local copy of the latest and greatest upstream
without having merge conflicts, which (if you don't have a separate
local master) means using "git pull --rebase -s recursive -X ours".

But: "rebase -X ours" does not throw away all of your changes; it keeps
the ones that can be cleanly merged. So what you end up with is "the
latest and greatest plus SOME of my local changes", which might not be
what you wanted.

(Also, git branches are not temptations to be resisted.)

--Ed