manual memory management

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Thu Jan 10 16:05:48 PST 2013

On Thursday, 10 January 2013 at 08:38:18 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> This is what I was saying all along, in CS GC books reference
> counting is usually introduced as poor man's GC solution. As
> the most simple way to implement some kind of automatic memory
> management, specially in memory constrained devices at the
> expense of execution speed.
>
> --
> Paulo

This is likely a long shot (and may have already been proposed),
but what the heck: If reference counting is considered to be
garbage collection, and D is a garbage collected language, then
can the current form of GC be replaced with a reference counted
version that is fully automated, or does something like that
always have to be manually hand crafted because it is not generic
enough to fit in?

BTW: I did read through the responses concerning by past posts
about the GG and memory safety, and I agree with those responses.
I now have a much better understanding of what is meant by
"memory safety", so thanks to everyone who took the time to
respond to my ramblings, I've learned something new.

--rt