D based BEEP library?

Robert M. Münch robert.muench at saphirion.com
Sat Jan 12 08:10:40 PST 2013

On 2013-01-11 17:54:33 +0000, Rob T said:

> Back in the day when I first tried BEEP, All I knew about was the
> beepcore-c library, but I see it's now dead, and it may have been dead
> already when I was attempting to use it. I was not as knowledgeable
> back then.

Yes, take a look at Vortex. It plays in a total different league.

> Ah crap, now you got me reconsidering BEEP again ...

:-) You are not alone. So, let me know or PM me.

> BTW my understanding of the XML is that it's only used minimally for
> control and configuration reasons.

Right. It's really no big deal. Vortex converts the XML config stuff
into a compile unit and links it directly into your app. So no config
files necessary.

And as long as you don't need generic servers that can handle protocol
announcements etc. you just make a channel and your peers know what to
do with it.

> However given perhaps better alternatives these days, a re-imagining of
> BEEP may be a good idea.

IMO it is. There is a JavaScript, Lua and Python version too. Since
mobile apps are en vogue and these all need network stuff, IMO BEEP is
a great thing. I make my life simple and avoid wasting time with the
basics of good protocol design and implementation.

--
Robert M. Münch
Saphirion AG

http://www.saphirion.com