Exceptional coding style

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Jan 14 15:57:17 PST 2013

On 01/15/2013 12:26 AM, mist wrote:
> On Monday, 14 January 2013 at 22:53:05 UTC, FG wrote:
>> On 2013-01-14 22:31, mist wrote:
>>> That guy has rather weird sense of beauty... My eyes started bleeding
>>> at the
>>> "Spacing" section.
>>

>> I sympathize. He posted the worse code excerpt to prove his point. :)
>>

> I am most unpleasant with vertical space point.

I think it is one of the more sensible ones. Completely unrelated to
code beauty though.

> Times when screen space was that important are long gone

This generally comes up as an argument in these discussions, but I don't
buy it. Not all development is done on a desktop with a huge screen. And
even then, there is always something to put on it. What window manager
are you using?

> - I generally can understand less at
> once than can possibly fit with 9th font size on 24 inch screen.

In my experience, the screen is always too small. I prefer font size 12
though.

> And extra vertical spaces are like semantic formatting tools for plain text
> - can group related blocks perfectly and speed up reading.

Sure, I do that too when appropriate. That is not an excuse for wasting
space gratuitously, making them harder to spot.

Ultimately, it is entirely a matter of habituation. (So you might as
well just prefer the format that is more efficient.)