Exceptional coding style

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:44:59 PST 2013

On Monday, 14 January 2013 at 23:48:14 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> mist:
>
>> I am most unpleasant with vertical space point. Times when
>> screen space was that important are long gone - I generally
>> can understand less at once than can possibly fit with 9th
>> font size on 24 inch screen.
>
> I prefer a larger font and less wasted lines.
> The very very airy style of C# coding worsens my code
> understanding.
>

>> And extra vertical spaces are like semantic formatting tools
>> for plain text - can group related blocks perfectly and speed
>> up reading.
>
> The idea of not wasting lines doesn't go against the idea of
> adding blank lines to create code paragraphs. When you are
> adding a line to divide chunks, you are not wasting vertical
> space, it's a well used line :-)

I could explain it better.

Plus, in some languages, (yes javascript, I'm looking at you)
semicolon are inserted in places that can create very nasty bugs
when changing line like that. I know it isn't really an argument
that apply for C/C++/D but it does matter for a programmer that
use both C/C++/D and such a language (as I do).