DConf 2013 Call for Submissions: deadline on January 28

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Jan 15 07:55:46 PST 2013

Hello everyone,

We're a couple of weeks inside the Call for Submissions for DConf 2013,
and so far we have collected a few strong proposals but indeed only a few.

I would like to extend an appeal to the talented participants on this
newsgroup to consider making a talk proposal. At this point there's a
dearth of submissions, which is paradoxical considering the high numbers
and quality of the community leaders.

When thinking of a submission, consider that you'd address an audience
outside and removed from the daily pulse going on in the forum. You may
assume most nobody in the audience has read the group, articles you or
others wrote, or has a solid understanding of the language's subtleties.
Therefore it's very easy to think "meh, I don't have anything
interesting to share - they all know this stuff as well as I do, if not
better!" and is a common phenomenon in confined circles (research lab
would be another example).

If you ever wrote an article on D, consider it an already done
presentation that just needs translation into slides. There's little
extra effort needed.

If you're one of the main contributors to the language and its standard
library, you are virtually socially obligated to submit a talk proposal.
People will come to hear your insights.

If you're a regular D user, the unique demands and characteristics of
your project are likely to be of interest.

So I compel you to consider making at least one submission. We have a
budget, sponsors, a wonderful site - it would be supremely ironic if the
program was our weak spot. If you are a regular D contributor, consider
yourself as responsible as anyone for the success of DConf. But I also
expect to hear (and indeed already have, thank you) from people I'd
never heard from before.

Thanks,

Andrei