Exceptional coding style

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jan 15 08:15:37 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 03:07:08PM +0100, monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 at 13:55:53 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> >On 01/15/2013 11:57 AM, mist wrote:
> >>Well, probably I am playing "good vision nazi" here, as 12 font size
> >>seems HUGE to me, far beyond the comfort zone.
> >
> >It's just preference. I do not have any problems with font size 9.
>
> I do not know of any editor that does not support "ctrl + scroll" to
> change the font sizes on the fly.

I'm a vim nazi. :-P

> I always change the font size of my editor, depending on how
> concentrated I am, my position in my seat, or by how complicated the
> current algorithm is. Or simply if somebody is looking over my
> shoulder.

Huh. I'm glad I don't have the latter problem. Well, good ole ctrl-Z to
return to the shell, or just ctrl-T ctrl-T (I use ratpoison) to switch
to another window, etc., works for me. But then I don't work in a
situation where people I don't want looking at my code can simply walk
by and look over my shoulders. Office security, man! ;-)

> Your editor's font size should not be statically dictated by a
> single number.

I rather prefer to stick to a single font size. It's easier on the brain
to always see the same layout of a particular piece of code. It's like
navigating by landmarks -- you get familiar with where things are laid
out, and it's easier to find things. It just costs too much effort to
keep changing things around.

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought
which they avoid. -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)