Exceptional coding style

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jan 15 08:20:30 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:56:34AM +0100, mist wrote:
> On Monday, 14 January 2013 at 23:57:18 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> >This generally comes up as an argument in these discussions, but I
> >don't buy it. Not all development is done on a desktop with a huge
> >screen. And even then, there is always something to put on it.
> >What window manager are you using?
>
> Well, I hardly can imagine rationale behind using netbook for
> serious development aside from being on trip. Even being forced to
> work in ssh to some legacy shell ( I have that unpleasant experience
> :( ) usually limits your term width, not height.

Heh. On the contrary, I find ssh to be a pleasant experience. Most
GUI-heavy editors are so painfully inefficient to use that I find VT100
emulators far more pleasant to work with.

> I am using Gnome Shell, but working mostly in full-screen
> undecorated terminal. It is approximately 75 to 85 lines of vertical
> space in my setup.

I have a 1600x1200 screen, and an 18-point font, which gives me 93*41
terminal size. I find that just about right. (Like I said, I maximize
everything, and anything significantly smaller than 18-point font, I
find quite unreadable.)

People say I'm indecisive, but I'm not sure about that. -- YHL, CONLANG