Exceptional coding style

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 08:59:57 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 11:49 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[…]
> I, too, prefer proportional fonts in code and tried hard to use them in
> TDPL. I couldn't find a reasonable way to make them work in
> LaTeX/listings (indentation and vertical align are pervasive issues) and
> besides there are really elaborate monospace fonts to be had nowadays,
> so I chose Bitstream Vera which is beautiful. (Took me a week to decide
> on TDPL fonts alone but it was time well spent.)

LaTeX and listings works fine with proportional fonts for me. What
problem were you having.

I'll bear Bitstream Vera in mind for the book I am just starting.

> Same deal in Emacs - there's just no good editor support for

I use the one true kitchen sink, Emacs, mostly. Using Ocean Sans Std.
Eclipse, PyCharm, IntelliJ IDEA, NetBeans, GEdit, all using Ocean Sans
Std.

XTerms are a problem, command line tools assume monospace fonts and so
terminal have to use monospace fonts, which makes VIM use really awful.

gVIM is no help. It allows you to choose a proportional font and then
uses it in monospace mode.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk