Exceptional coding style

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jan 15 09:52:53 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 05:31:04PM +0100, mist wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 at 16:22:19 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> >Heh. On the contrary, I find ssh to be a pleasant experience. Most
> >GUI-heavy editors are so painfully inefficient to use that I find
> >VT100 emulators far more pleasant to work with.
>
> I am vim user myself, but some legacy shells did not support more
> than 80 symbol width, thus the pain and according code style
> guidelines for us poor programmers on that project :)

I'm perfectly fine with 80 column max, actually. I find that overly long
lines are very difficult to scan. But then if the coding style requires
8-space tabs and you're writing XML, then, well, I can understand why
that would be painful. ;-)

On a tangential note, I used to write Perl code with 2-space
indentation, with code blocks nested 8-10 levels deep. The cascade of
}'s that often occurred at the end of functions was quite a sight to
behold.  :-P

[...]
> >I have a 1600x1200 screen, and an 18-point font, which gives me 93*41
> >terminal size. I find that just about right. (Like I said, I maximize
> >everything, and anything significantly smaller than 18-point font, I
> >find quite unreadable.)
>
> Well this is probably the main reason of different spacing tastes. I
> have literally twice as much vertical space fitting ( 1920x1080 @ 9pt
> ), can imagine how it makes you favor more compact style.

Probably. And it's probably the reason I dislike today's trend of
half-height^W^W I mean, half-width, monitors: I always work with
maximized windows, and I don't like overly long lines, so resizing the
font to approximately 80 columns at 1920x1080 would literally be
half-height for me, even worse than 80x24.

Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares? -- Miquel van Smoorenburg