Update #1 on new std.uni

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 16 11:35:27 PST 2013

On 1/16/2013 2:48 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> I've spent some hours to get an easy, useful and correct (as far as it gets)
> terminology throughout the module.

Thank you. Looking at the Terminology section (the reference to it at the
beginning should be a hyperlink):

"Not all code points are assigned to encoded characters.":

	?? I thought that was the whole point?

"Note that UTF-32 code unit (dchar) holds the actual code point value." => "Note
that in UTF-32, a code unit is a code point and is represented by the D dchar type."

What happened to "octet", which I thought was the official term?

"Also known as simply character."

	No, please no, at least not in this document. I suspect you need to ban the
word "character" from this page. It is so overloaded in meaning that it is useless.

"An abstract character does not necessarily correspond to what a user thinks of
as a “character” and should not be confused with a Grapheme."

	This just makes me cry. Who knows what a user thinks of as a character? "not
necessarily" means what? Is "Grapheme" a Unicode term?

Why can't there be precise definitions of these terms? I wonder if even the
Unicode standard people have no idea exactly what they are.

Sorry for the rant, but unicode terms always make me mad.