Budgeting for DConf 2013

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Jan 16 13:15:42 PST 2013

Hello all,

I've seen many prospective DConf speakers, both in private and public
communication, are overly concerned about traveling costs. I thought I'd
set the record straight about this.

Due to the successful kickstarter campaign, we have a budget before we
even published a program. Facebook has gladly agreed to host the
conference, thus eliminating quite a few costs. That means we are in
good shape with the budget.

Walter and I are not in this for the money (beyond not losing our
shirts), so we plan to use the budget to ensure a great conference. (Any
unused budget would go into DConf 2014.) A successful event is our top
priority. Therefore, it would be quite ironic if we ended up with no
DConf but a lot of money in the bank.

So please do this:

1. If you're considering giving a talk, DO prepare a submission whether
you live in the Bay Area or on Mars. A submission (see http://dconf.org)
is a title, an abstract (3-6 sentences), and a bio. No full slides or
writeup needed at this time! The worst that could happen is your
submission doesn't get accepted.

2. If your submission does get accepted, it's a good opportunity to go
to your employer and mention you've been invited for a talk. I can email
or call them if needed.

3. If your employer sponsors your time and/or your travels, so much the
better. If not, we will sponsor your expenses.

So please let us worry about speakers' travel expenses and get working
on submitting good material. Let's not save budget at the expense of the
event itself. Quite literally the success of DConf 2013 depends on you.

Thanks,

Andrei