Exceptional coding style

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Jan 18 00:47:31 PST 2013

On 2013-01-18 08:18, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> In _any_ language. Inevitably, the formatter ends up totally mangling at least
> some of the lines. In my experience, any attempt to be super strict with the
> formatting rules (as an automatic code formatter must be) results in ugly
> code. A basic set of formatting rules helps the code be consistent and look
> good, but there are always corner cases where the rules must be bent or broken
> in order to make the code appropriately legible. And it requires having a
> human do the formatting to get that kind of flexibility.

Eclipse has a pretty darn good code formatter. It formatted the code
exactly like I wanted to, except in one or two cases but that's usually
because I broke my own rules.

Example, this is usually how I format a switch statement:

switch (value)
{
     case 1:
         // code
     break;

     case 2:
         // code
     break;
}

But on occasion, when I have only a short single line expression and
many cases I usually format it like this:

switch (value)
{
     case 1: a = 2; break;
     case 2: a = 3; break;