short praise

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Fri Jan 18 11:39:13 PST 2013

On Friday, 18 January 2013 at 18:39:43 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> What OS are you using? Installing from source is actually very
> easy on
> Linux (and other Posix OS's).
>
> 	http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_DMD
>
> (Very easy, compared to installation of other toolchains, like
> GCC,
> which is a royal pain in the behind to build from source. And
> that's an
> understatement.)

The point I wanted to state, is that we should work towards
making it as simple as possible to test out the latest beta
snapshot, so that even the most casual D user can try it out. The
more beta testers we have, the better tested the next release
will be. A packaged snapshot would be a lot simpler than having
users installing from source.

One thing about this, when testing a beta version, you still need
to use the released version, so if there's ever a packaged beta
made available, the package should allow two (or more) versions
of the compiler to co-exist.

--rt