Focus

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Fri Jan 18 12:55:57 PST 2013

On Friday, 18 January 2013 at 20:21:47 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Also, I don't agree a lot about the "fog of war" theory by
> Walter.

I must have missed that one, what's it about?

> I think a development plan should be discussed, written down,
> and then followed (and dynamically fixed, when necessary).
> Building a new system language has a high risk of failure, but
> there's no need to also shot D in the feet on purpose.

Yes, a plan is sorely lacking. Also the language specification
can be much  better managed. For example, there's no clear plan
for it, no clear revision history, discussions for improvements
are made but then get lost or forgotten, etc. If it were better
managed, many advantages become apparent, such as being able to
link a particular release of the compiler to a specific revision
of the language that the compiler supports, but that's just one
benefit. The limited resources can be more focused on fixing
specific parts of the compiler because that specific area was
made a priority. What's the priority right now? I don't know, and
that's not sending a confidence inspiring message to the people
who are thinking about taking a risk and using D.

On the positive side, we have seen a recent improvement with the
rolling out of a defined development and release process. Some of
the details are still being sorted out, but it is a;ready huge
improvement and may help kick start more of the same thing. We
just need to keep working towards expanding the process to
include other areas of D development.

--rt