Focus

Andrey andr-sar at yandex.ru
Fri Jan 18 14:16:34 PST 2013

Me and many others consider D as consistent, free and clever
replacement for screwed(IMHO) C++. From that perspective the
current design of D already has necessary things. I would like
developers to focus on fixing issues and polishing everything
rather than trying to implement something new and experimental.

The most common suggestions raises such problems as:

- the garbage collecting system (the ability to control and
implement manual collectors or, at least, improve the precise and
speed of the current);
- efficient and comfortable handling of dynamic libraries;
- extending standard library, because it lacks of many modules
(containers, xml parser), more developed OS support and wrappers
for popular libs;
- user defined operators (including support for unicode math
stuff).

I'm not saying about production instruments, like IDEs, static
code analyzers, debuggers.

I'm now still on 2.060 release, and I was shocked when suddenly
have discovered that member visibility and access attributes just
don't work! Well, 2060 release, and I can easily compile such
thing:

struct MyStruct {
    private int a;
}

MyStruct ms;
ms.a = 42; //!!!
writeln(ms.a);

So, when you observe this situation, it becomes really hard to
pursue fully fledged commercial development with D.

I love D and I hate C++. But I still need to code on C/C++ for
food.

Anyway, cheers everybody. Hope one day to see D as leading and
very efficient world-wide platform.