Focus

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 16:11:02 PST 2013

On Saturday, 19 January 2013 at 00:04:24 UTC, Andrey wrote:
> So how am I supposed to hide the variable inside the struct or
> class?

Generally the D answer here is to put them in separate files. The
module (file) is the main D encapsulation unit rather than the
class/struct.

It isn't the same as C++ but I find it works pretty well - you
often do one file per class anyway, and files are a natural unit
for encapsulating too.

> I'm sure "friend" explodes the basics of OOP encapsulation
> mechanics.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/friends-and-encap.html

If you have helper structures it can be useful to get at the
private parts anyway, for example an iteration range.