Focus

Sergei Nosov sergei.nosov at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 02:01:21 PST 2013

On Saturday, 19 January 2013 at 02:50:35 UTC, Andrey wrote:
>> This all falls apart once you decide you need "friend" access.
>
> I haven't seen such situations yet. According to OOP concept
> they must be very rare, so I tend to consider them more of
> architecture and logic mistake (and C++ is one big architecture
> and logic frankenstein).

Sorry for being a little harsh, but there's a big warning sign on
the Overview page of this site:

Who D is Not For:
Language purists. D is a practical language, and each feature of
it is evaluated in that light, rather than by an ideal.

All of this stuff about pure (or true) OOP concept, when you just
don't need such hacks as "friend" is good on paper. But most of
the time it's very expensive to stick with such kind of purity
rigorously.

Or even is just a completely bad idea. Consider algorithms for
data structures being members in true-OO vs. STL/D-ranges
approach or everything is a function with no side-effects in
"pure" functional languages.