including dmd's response.c in gdc

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sat Jan 19 16:55:46 PST 2013

On Saturday, 19 January 2013 at 22:51:45 UTC, Nils Boßung wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Unfortunately, it'll have to be rewritten to be GPL. I don't
>> control the
>> Symantec license.
>
> Too bad. That means, ldc should get rid of it, too; doesn't it?

Sorry for not responding earlier, but I haven't really been
following the newsgroups lately as I'm swamped in university work.

Yes, this is a major problem indeed. A while ago, I rewrote LDMD
to use as much of the DMD command line parsing code as possible
for maximum compatibility. Among the issues that lead to this
were specifically a few reports of the LLVM response file parsing
code handling some corner cases/quoting issues slightly
differently than the DMD one. So, back then, I just copied the
response_expand declaration from mars.c and assumed that the code
would be okay to use, since response.c is in root/. The file was
already glob-included in our build as part of root/, so I didn't
have to look at it at all.

So, three questions:
  1) What is the best way to handle the situation from an LDC
perspective? Pull the last release immediately and temporarily
fall back to the LLVM response file parser in Git master? Or,
Walter, could you grant us (resp. the LDC team/me) the right to
redistribute the file until we have a proper solution? Distro
packages would be another problem?

  2) Could somebody read the source and document the quirks of the
parser in painstaking detail, so that somebody else can do a
clean room implementation?

  3) Could we maybe move the file out of root/, as all the other
files in there are under the front-end Artistic/GPL dual license?

David