ACCU 2013 and D

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 03:15:16 PST 2013

On Sunday, 20 January 2013 at 09:15:36 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> As some of you know, the C User Group UK and the European C and
> C++ User
> Group long ago merged to create the Association of C and C++
> Users
> (ACCU). Over the years, the emphasis on C and C++ gave way to a
> more
> diverse approach including patterns, Java, Python, Go, agile
> processes.
> Even the name of the group formally changed to ACCU to lose the
> direct C
> and C++ link. Due to the history, members of the group had and
> retain
> roles with the British Standards Institute, as the UK
> representatives on
> the C and C++ standards committees, especially the C++ one.
> When it is
> the UK's turn to host a C++ standards committee meeting, the
> meeting is
> either before or after the ACCU conference, and the obvious
> suspects get
> drafted in to do keynotes and other talks at the conference, as
> well as
> ACCU members attending the open meetings of JTC1/SC22/WG21.
> http://accu.org/index.php/conferences/accu_conference_2013
>
> This seems like an ideal opportunity to do a lightning talk (5
> mins) on
> why C++ is crap and D is the only native code language that
> should be
> used. (I have a history in this group of bashing C++ :-) It
> would be
> really helpful to create a few one liners (with code examples)
> as to why
> D is the clear language of choice for native code working and,
> C++, Go,
> Rust, Clay, etc. should be consigned to the dustbin of history.
> People
> will expect me to emphasize concurrency and parallelism issues
> so it
> would be good to throw others into the mix as well.
>
> Thanks in advance for any input. Attribution of sources if
> appropriate
> will be given unless people prefer anonymity!

Arrays and slices. They might be very "basic" features, but don't
underestimate how having something basic as a starting point can
transcend through an entire language.

Also: Unicode. And algorithms that are Unicode aware.

Forget the high level fancy stuff. I cam to D for all those basic
things. All the rest is (very tasty) sugar.