D popularity

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 20 23:19:58 PST 2013

On Monday, January 21, 2013 02:01:42 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> D does continue to face an uphill battle for mindshare: These days,
> most people who write code prefer to use languages that accept ANY
> grammatically-correct code and deliberately remain silent about all
> mechanically-checkable problems they can possibly ignore. Apparently
> this is because they prefer to manually write extra unittests so that
> only a subset of these errors are actually guaranteed to get caught
> (if there's any guarantee at all).

In my experience, most programmers don't want to write unit tests, so I
suspect that the folks who are pushing for less strict languages generally
aren't testing their code any better than the folks using strict languages
are. I suspect that the main problem with folks wanting the compiler to just
accept stuff is that too many of those folks started with scripting languages
where you don't have compilation errors, because you don't compile anything.

- Jonathan M Davis