Focus

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jan 21 00:34:48 PST 2013

On Saturday, 19 January 2013 at 18:43:45 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 January 2013 at 11:52:52 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 21:21 +0100, bearophile wrote:
>> […]
>> (*) Groovy managed to use a 6 year rather than 10 cycle to real
>> usability, but it was only when SpringSource bought G2One and
>> started
>> putting resource into Groovy that it really took off. With
>> Canoo backing
>> it and one or two USA consultancies, it rapidly became the
>> dynamic
>> language of choice and actual use on the JVM.  The
>> similarities between
>> D evolution and Groovy evolution are quite interesting (**).
>> Groovy has
>> made the jump to organizational respectability. D needs to do
>> the same.

Yes. I remember looking at Groovy around 2000 timeframe and not
giving
too much consideration.

Back then Jacl had much more support, and IBM was pushing
Beanshell and
Jacl.

Funny how it turned out to be.

> This opinionated piece of opinion agrees:
>
> "What about D as a replacement for C?
>
> It's not there for the same reasons as Go. It's possible that
> someday it will be suitable, but I'm less optimistic about it
> strictly from a momentum perspective, it doesn't have a big
> backer like Google and doesn't seem to be growing very rapidly.
> But perhaps it will get there someday."
>
> http://damienkatz.net/2013/01/follow_up_to_the_unreasonable.html

Go might eventually succeed in replacing C, Google just needs to
make Go a first class language for Android development.

--
Paulo