D popularity

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jan 21 01:48:45 PST 2013

On Monday, 21 January 2013 at 08:55:00 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Monday, 21 January 2013 at 07:20:59 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
>> On Monday, January 21, 2013 02:01:42 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> D does continue to face an uphill battle for mindshare: These
>>> days,
>>> most people who write code prefer to use languages that
>>> accept ANY
>>> grammatically-correct code and deliberately remain silent
>>> about all
>>> mechanically-checkable problems they can possibly ignore.
>>> Apparently
>>> this is because they prefer to manually write extra unittests
>>> so that
>>> only a subset of these errors are actually guaranteed to get
>>> caught
>>> (if there's any guarantee at all).
>>
>> In my experience, most programmers don't want to write unit
>> tests, so I
>> suspect that the folks who are pushing for less strict
>> languages generally
>> aren't testing their code any better than the folks using
>> strict languages
>> are. I suspect that the main problem with folks wanting the
>> compiler to just
>> accept stuff is that too many of those folks started with
>> scripting languages
>> where you don't have compilation errors, because you don't
>> compile anything.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> We move from ruby on rail to Node.js for scalability reasons
> !!!!!!

I always laugh when I read such things.

Back in 1999, I was doing web development in our own TCL Apache
module, with a developed in-house framework (C/TCL), which was
quite similar to Rails 1.0.

Around 2002, we started to migrate to C++/.NET (at the time only
available to Microsoft partner companies like ours), because of
scalability issues.

What this taught us is that if you want to really scale, only
compiled languages will do a proper job.

Yet people seem not to learn from history.

--
Paulo