Focus

eles eles at eles.com
Mon Jan 21 06:53:35 PST 2013

On Monday, 21 January 2013 at 14:46:52 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Monday, 21 January 2013 at 14:34:50 UTC, eles wrote:
> Every time you change something people are used too, they get
> scared. Someone scared by a change they don't understand will
> not use D anyway. Given another behavior of private more C++
> compliant, it is very likely that Andrey would have find
> something else to be scared of.

The point is some changes are useless, to not say they are bad.
If D modified the "private", I think better decisions would have
been to rename it too (ie. into "D_special_meaning_of_private")

Do not forget that D still needs to attract people from the C/C++
world. If you adress to them, at least be nice to them and do not
scare them from the begining.

Also, C++ done *some* things right and those should be kept. At
least, when correcting the bad things in C++, do not mess them
more than it is necessary.

For me, for example, it is puzzling to see that the "private"
meaning was modified, but kept the same name. I knew that
Andrey's code is legal into D, still I find it unnatural and I
understand his reaction. I had the same reaction.

In order to demonstrate privateness in a Hello World before of
students, do I really need to go with TWO files?