D popularity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Jan 21 08:12:52 PST 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:19:58PM -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, January 21, 2013 02:01:42 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > D does continue to face an uphill battle for mindshare: These days,
> > most people who write code prefer to use languages that accept ANY
> > grammatically-correct code and deliberately remain silent about all
> > mechanically-checkable problems they can possibly ignore. Apparently
> > this is because they prefer to manually write extra unittests so
> > that only a subset of these errors are actually guaranteed to get
> > caught (if there's any guarantee at all).
>
> In my experience, most programmers don't want to write unit tests, so
> I suspect that the folks who are pushing for less strict languages
> generally aren't testing their code any better than the folks using
> strict languages are.
[...]

Before D, I never wanted to write unittests. They were cumbersome,
required diversion from the task at hand, consumed extra effort, and
were troublesome to remember to run separately every time you make some
changes.

D's unittest blocks singlehandedly converted me. :)

Two wrongs don't make a right; but three rights do make a left...