D popularity

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 08:32:12 PST 2013

On Monday, 21 January 2013 at 16:14:45 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

The only thing holding me back from D is that it is unreliable.
I'm not just talking about bugs in Phobos (which can easilly
found and/or fixed).

I'm talking about all the unreliable voldemort structs, the
context pointers, the delegates, the destructor sequences, memory
management and whatnot.

I can see that these issues are being fixed and worked on, but
today, I would NEVER even dream of using D in a professional
project.

The only way for that to work would be to use a "restricted D":
No non-static structs, no allocating delegates etc. It's a hard
sell to management.

I use it at work to quickly deploy helper scripts, because it is
so easy, and I know what I'm doing, but it stops there. It HAS to
stop there :( ...