D popularity

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Jan 21 10:47:44 PST 2013

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:27:48 -0500
Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:54:59 +0100
> "deadalnix" <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > We move from ruby on rail to Node.js for scalability reasons
> > !!!!!!
>
> I take it this "scalability reason" is to avoid scalability?
>
> You should to read Ted Dziuba's "Node.js is Cancer", he explains it
> better than I can:
> (He's destroyed all his good older posts, but I managed to save this
> one from a cache:)
> https://semitwist.com/mirror/node-js-is-cancer.html

Also, FWIW, while most of that sounds like it would also apply to
Vibe.d, it's drastically mitigated in Vibe.d's case because:

A. Unlike Node.js, Vibe.d I/O will automatically trigger a fiber switch
to a different request while the I/O, purely behind the scenes,
completes asynchronously.

B. Vibe.d uses a real language instead of requiring your server to be
written in a toy language that thinks it's ok to force every f*@^ing
variable in a "scalable" program to be an associative array of
Variants, whether they need to be or not.

The *one* thing in that guy's article that I admit I don't really buy
is the complaint about it being non-Unixy. Yea, "The Unix Way" is
certainly very good, but when it means shuffling every damn request on
a highly "scalable" server between separate processes, I think it's
perfectly reasonable to bend the rules a bit and not be religious about
the Unix Scripture.