D popularity

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Jan 21 19:28:44 PST 2013

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 19:14:16 -0800
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:20:44PM +0100, Thiez wrote:
> > Nick, Teoh, what exactly do you guys hope to accomplish with your
> > current discussion? What if someone who comes from a dynamically
> > typed language wants to check out D and reads that vitriolic crap
> > the two of you are spewing? I'm sure they'll feel very welcome
> > knowing that what appears to be the D community thinks their current
> > language of choice (which may simply be because it is the only
> > language they have gotten a chance to learn) is cancer and a plague,
> > that they are a fool, a dumbass, not a real programmer, and are
> > guaranteed to write garbage. They will turn around and never return.
> > And they'd be right. Why would they want to become part of a
> > community that actively hates and despises them?
> [...]
>
> Let me set the record straight. I was merely writing my evaluation of
> languages that I have tried before, and I never intended to attack
> anyone personally. If I did, then I apologize. Criticizing a language
> does not equal attacking the people associated with it. But avoiding
> personal attacks does not exclude criticizing a language for what I
> perceive as its flaws.

Same goes for me, too, but I wouldn't have been able to express it
quite so clearly.

Related note: If I go to a Python forum, I'm going to expect that I
might see anti-static-typing sentiment from some people. Just like if
you go to a Paul Greengrass fan forum, you kinda have to expect you
might see "What's wrong with shaking the camera all around?" ;) If I
then choose to get in a huf over it, *I'd* be the unreasonable one for
expecting...well, for expecting not to see a leaf in the middle of a
forest.