D popularity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Jan 21 21:47:17 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:30:42AM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:19:36 -0800
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of which, did you manage to polish up the LaTeX macros to
> > produce decent output? I'd love to take a look if you did -- I'm a
> > LaTeX fan.

> > --
> > Those who've learned LaTeX swear by it. Those who are learning LaTeX
> > swear at it. -- Pete Bleackley
>
> Your signature randomizer is becoming sentient...

Actually, this time I cheated. I manually picked that line for this
particular post. ;-)

Though I have to say, there were times in the past when the Perl script
picked a quote that is eeriely relevant to the discussion at hand. The
thought *did* cross my mind that it's starting to exhibit sentience. :-P

On the other hand, I used to know someone whose signature script
actually scanned the message body for keywords, and used some kind of
Markov chain algo or some-such to pick the most appropriate quote for
the occasion given those keywords. Alas, my understanding of Markov
chains (or whatever it is they used) is practically nil, so I wouldn't
know how to implement such a thing.

If you compete with slaves, you become a slave. -- Norbert Wiener