Trust about D programming.

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Jan 22 07:42:03 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 22 January 2013 at 13:36:15 UTC, Freddie Chopin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 January 2013 at 11:41:14 UTC, Sergei Nosov wrote:
>> But for embedded programming I don't think D is a good
>> practical choice. C and C++ shines there and I don't think
>> things are changing soon.
>
> It would be a shame if D would be PC-only... Maybe when GDC
> will be ready things will change - who knows... Apart from the
> garbage collector, which really is not embedded-friendly (I'm
> talking about kilobytes of RAM, not megabytes) everything
> sounds quite OK in the specs (;
>
> 4\/3!!

Ah, you mean something like Astrobe, an Oberon compiler for
the ARM Cortex-M3 and NXP LPC2000 micro-controlers?

http://www.astrobe.com/default.htm

Presentation from the 2011 Oberon days,

http://www.oberonday2011.ethz.ch/talks/armembedded.pdf

It is possible to do C free development in embedded systems,
using system programming languages with GC.

There are of course embedded systems, where the only way to
program is either Assembly or a crippled down version of C due to
hardware constraints.

However, if the hardware is able to execute full ANSI C code,
then there are other options becoming available.

It is just a matter to get a more widespread acceptance.

--
Paulo