[OT] Walter about compilers

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 09:35:56 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 22 January 2013 at 17:10:35 UTC, Thiez wrote:
> On Tuesday, 22 January 2013 at 16:31:20 UTC, Era Scarecrow
> wrote:
>> I really wouldn't want to have to use BigInt for everything
>> that can't overflow and then check to make sure I can fit it
>> in my smaller variables afterwards along with the extra move.
>> I wouldn't want to use BigInts everywhere, and long's aren't
>> needed everywhere either.
>
> Since D aims to emulate C in this aspect, overflow with uints
> is probably defined as a wrap-around (like C). In this case it
> seems to me the check for overflow would simply be '(a+b)<a',
> no need to cast to longs and BigInts and all that. Of course
> this may not apply to signed ints...

  That merely shortens the size of the check, not where you need
to place the checks or how often. Truthfully, in almost all cases
the wrap-around or overflow/underflow is an error, usually
unchecked. If 1 million were the max, then 1,000,000 + 1 should
equal 1,000,001 and not <=0, and if 0 is the minimum, 0 - 1
should not equal >=0.

  The only real time I can find overflow wanted is while making
something that watches for it explicitly to make use of it. Say
we emulate or write the 'ucent' types. That could be done as:

   //addition example obviously
   void add(const uint[4] lhs, const uint[4] rhs) {
     uint[4] val;
     bool carry = false;
     foreach(i, ref v; val) {
       uint tmp = lhs[i];

       v = lhs[i] + rhs[i] + (carry ? 1 : 0);
       carry = v < tmp;
     }

     assert(!carry); //could fail. How to handle this? Ignore?
  }

  Now let's say there's a for loop which someone decides they
would be clever and use a ubyte (unsigned char) as an index or
counter.

  for(ubyte i = 0; i < 1000; i++) {
    writeln(i);
  }

  The overflow is an error because the wrong type was selected but
doesn't change the obvious logic behind it. You can hide the type
behind an alias or similar but that doesn't change the fact it's
a bug, and can be easier to detect if we are aware the overflow
is happening at all rather than it getting stuck and having to
manually kill the process or step through it in a debugger. If it
wasn't outputting in some way you could identify it's much harder
to find.

  Encryption may make use of the overflow/wrap around, but far
more likely they use xor or binary operations which don't have
those problems.