Trust about D programming.

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Jan 22 13:02:45 PST 2013

Am 22.01.2013 19:33, schrieb Freddie Chopin:
> On Tuesday, 22 January 2013 at 18:14:30 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> ... [cutted]
>> Faire enough, I guess even C has issues on those systems right?
>
> If we stick to ARM (like Cortex-M3) there are no issues other than
> memory limitations, and it generally concerns mostly RAM, as code memory
> is usually big enough (hundreds of kB usually, up to 512kB, sometimes
> 1MB). That's why you cannot get too fancy with your code, and -
> unfortunately - most of nice programming "tricks" are
> dynamic-memory-only...
>
> On the other hand, maybe I should ask what do you consider "an issue"?
> There's definitely nothing "non-standard" in the C/C++ that you use here
> - there's just no OS (but you can have an RTOS - scheduler), no POSIX
> (but there are POSIX-like RTOSes) and not-a-lot of RAM (there's no
> library for fixing that [; ).
>
> 4\/3!!

I don't really have much embedded experience besides assembly
programming in the old days (Z80, M68000, x86, MIPS, self build
processor for digital circuits class).

My understanding is that the processors the micro-controler class, the
ones with memory in the order of bytes or kilobytes, usually C compilers
that only implement part of the ANSI standard, given the hardware
constraints.

Meaning just a very small subset of data types is supported, limited
library support and lots of compiler extensions to make use of the
processor and on die ports.

I used to follow PIC articles for a while in the Elektor magazine, hence
my fuzzy knowledge about this.

--
Paulo